Charles DeWolf Middle School
National Junior Honor Society
Membership Rules for 2016-2017 School Year
Membership in the NJHS at Charles DeWolf Middle School will be open to seventh graders who meet membership criteria. This includes:
- Maintaining a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.7 in academic subjects, with no grade below a B- in any subject for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd marking periods of the 2016-2017 school year (and for the rest of the school year).
- Demonstrating outstanding scholarship, leadership, service, character, and citizenship.
- Accumulating no more than six tardies.
- Accumulating no detentions related to disruptive behavior or academic dishonesty.
- Performing six hours of documented community service from a recognized organization from 9/1/2016-4/14/2017.
- To be a member of the CDW NJHS, a student must complete at least three marking periods of the 7th grade year at CDW.
At the end of the third marking period, students with GPAs of at least 3.7 will be identified and asked to submit information forms and teacher recommendation forms to be considered for membership. There will not be an initial probationary period. An induction ceremony for accepted seventh grade students will occur in May 2017. Seventh grade students who do not meet GPA criteria at the end of the third marking period will have a chance to be reviewed again at the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year.
Membership to the NJHS is not automatic. Once a member of the NJHS, if a student’s GPA falls below a 3.7, or if he/she receives a report card grade below a B- in any subject or fails to complete required service or projects, students are automatically on probation. If any of these infractions occurs again, the student will be dismissed from the NJHS for failing to maintain any of the criteria for selection. Additionally, students who do not participate in required service projects during the school year, and/or fail to complete the required 12 hours of community service during the school year will be dismissed.
The National Junior Honor Society is the nation’s premier student recognition program. CDW joins more than 20,000 Honor Society chapters across the nation recognizing outstanding students in the community.