APPS & IDEAS FOR LITERACY LEARNING
with an iPAD
This is an initial list of ipad literacy ideas and apps I have previewed with students and have found to be worthwhile.
Please let me when you find wonderful apps for elementary age learners and I will add them to this list. Have fun!
• Use FACE TIME to allow your child to read to a family member or loved one
• Use the video function of the camera to record oral reading.
Activity example: This is great for repeated readings to promote fluency development! Record your child’s first reading of a text, allow time to read the text 2 more times (without recording) and then record the fourth reading. Listen to both readings and see what changes your child notices!
• Story Kit
• Spelling Cat (Similar to Spelling City)
• a b c Pocket Phonics Lite (trial version of an app that costs $2.99)
• MeeGenius (Library of books)
• Show Me (interactive white board)
Activity example: Great for writing a sight word, recording the oral spelling of the word and listening to personal recording while retracing the word in a new color.